There is no love sincerer than the love of food -George Bernard Shaw

Friday, October 29, 2010

Mom's Birthday and Manapua Education

Last week was my mom's birthday! I came down to Murrieta to celebrate, and she chose L&L to go out to dinner!

Score! I love the short ribs, soo good, but the PLUS was that I found out they sell MANAPUA. If I had to live on a deserted island for the rest of my life, I would be completely content with nothing more than a lifetime supply of these babies. Steamed,

baked

whatever! For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, its a steamed or baked bun filled with a barbeque pork called char siu. Here's the inside:

(mouthwatering) mmmmmmm! It's called a lot of different names (char siu bao, siopao, bbq pork bun) because each culture has a different version. They are originally a Cantonese dish, so your best chance of finding one is at a Chinese dimsum restaurant. I haven't tried L&L's manapua yet, but I know it will never be as good as the ones I've had in Hawaii. Those little Chinese women at the Chinatown in Honolulu have some magic that no one else can recreate.

ANYWAYS, I baked the cake for my mom's birthday and as always, she is unwavering in her chocolate love! Good thing I have a great recipe that I can always turn to! I wasn't feeling the creativity that I usually do in my cake shapes, but a little came through with the candles!


Haha can u guess how old shes turning?? Hopefully the delicious cake I made will make up for me telling the world :] HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of manapua. Sounds great..gotta try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mana Pua is way good, but how come you didn't save me a piece of that cake?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this. Thanks, Noelle! I was a great birthday. Thanks for the cake. 'Love you!

    ReplyDelete