There is no love sincerer than the love of food -George Bernard Shaw

Thursday, May 13, 2010

As easy as Apple Crumb Pie


This is one of my family's favorite recipes, particularly of my mom. When she buys green apples, its her way of telling me "I want a pie!" The most difficult part of this pie is the crust because it falls apart when you move it, but that's what makes the dough flaky! I'll admit it is more like a cobbler because of the crumb topping, call it whatever you want!
Normally my pie doesn't look so sad and flat, but I used one less apple than normal (I was hungry okay?). I think this also affected the texture of my pie, because the inside baked too quickly and the apples were soft when normally they are crunchy. It just gives me an excuse to make another pie!

Pastry for pie crust
Ingredients:
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 t. salt
-1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp shortening
-2 to 2 1/2 Tbsp cold water

1. Combine flour and salt in medium mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender (or fork, because no one actually owns a pastry blender) until mixture is consistency of cornmeal.

2. Sprinkle on cold water 1 Tbsp at a time; stir in with a fork. Add additional water to driest part of mixture. The dough should be just moist enough to stick together when pressed gently with a fork. It should not be sticky.

3. Shape dough into smooth ball with hands. Roll on lightly floured surface from center to outside until pastry is about 1/8" thick. (This dough is difficult to handle. I loosen it from the counter with a knife, roll it onto the rolling pin and into the pie pan. It will fall apart, but just piece it back together. This actually make the dough more flaky.)

Apple Crumb Pie
Ingredients:
-5 to 7 tart apples (depending on the size of your pan, I used 5)
-1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell
-1/2 cup sugar
-3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/3 cup sugar
-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
-6 Tbsp butter or margarine

1. Pare apples; core and cut into eighths. I cheat with an apple core-er thing. Arrange in unbaked pastry shell.

2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.

3. Mix 1/3 cup sugar with the flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or till done (If pie browns too quickly, cover edges with foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment